There is definitely something special about receiving a handmade gift at Christmas. The feeling of being gifted something that someone’s taken the time to make just for you is lovely - especially when it’s boozy!
When we think of drinks on Christmas day, we think of the classic Christmas beverages; mulled wine, Baileys, champagne you name it but after all that food for Christmas dinner a classic Limoncello tipple is the perfect digestif to warm the belly!
This lemon-based liquor from the Amalfi coast is also a great idea to make as a homemade gift – your friends and family will love the personal touch! It’s unique, pretty, and most importantly super easy to make - this recipe has four ingredients and only takes a little bit of time!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Servings: 10 people
1. Make a sugar syrup base by combining 3 cups of sugar to 3 cups of water, place in a pan and bring to the boil. Shake the pan to mix – do not stir. Keep the mixture at a rolling boil for 2-3 minutes until a syrup forms – simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat and cool for 5 minutes.
3. Prepare the lemons by peeling 8 (organic) lemons using a potato peeler into long strips. Squeeze the juice from each lemon into the jug.
4. Add the lemon juice and the skin to the cooled syrup and mix well.
5. Add 500ml of your choice of plain vodka and mix again. Allow the mixture to completely cool and give it an occasional stir. (your mixture should be half syrup, half vodka).
6. Once the mix is completely cool, strain it into a large jug so that the peel and pips are caught in the sieve. Poke all the peel into the bottle and then pour the lemon vodka into the bottle using a funnel.
7. Decorate with a personalised tag, ribbon and piece of pine.
Stay tuned for part 3 of A&D’s Last-Minute Christmas Gifts where we head back into the kitchen for a chat with Pastry Chef Marie on her quick and easy Christmas Eve inspired gift!